Blue Grass Community Foundation, Lexington, KY →
Blue Grass Community Foundation helps individuals, families, businesses and nonprofit organizations establish charitable funds that meet community needs and make a difference. For more information visit http://bgcf.org/
Location: Lexington, KY
Blue Grass Community Foundation (BGCF) has been awarded a Convergence Innovation Fund grant for the formation of the Lexington East End Equity Partnership (LEEEP). BGCF and its project partners have a history of investment and work in the East End, but have not engaged in strategic and collaborative policy and advocacy work. Using the Legacy Trail as the basis for LEEEP's work, the collaborative will focus on policy change at the local level in the areas of trail route placement, urban farming land use, rooftop greenhouse zoning, corner market transformation, and mobile produce bus permitting and complete streets. The LEEEP initiative will incorporate the following components:
- Advocacy for complete streets for the Legacy Trail through the East End of Lexington.
- Coordination of completion of the Isaac Murphy Memorial Art Garden as part of the Legacy Trail.
- Advocacy for urban forestation in the East End. LEEEP will work with the Division of Planning to expand the street tree ordinance to include fruit trees. This effort would be tied to urban farming and agriculture policy initiatives for vacant land use adjacent to the trail.
- Advocacy for policy change to incentivize corner store transformation.
- Advocacy for land use zoning for urban farming and roof top gardens. Efforts will promote policies to support and expand urban food production through land donations, protective zoning measures, and designated funding sources; as well as identify current policy barriers or ordinances that restrict future urban food production.
- Advocacy for permitting for a mobile neighborhood fresh produce bus. The East End of Lexington has been classified as a food desert and residents have limited access to transportation, making improved access to healthy food critical.